530 Seventh Avenue was designed in the Art Deco style by Ely Jacques Kahn in 1929 and completed in 1930 by Louis Adler, one of New York City's leading real estate developers at the time. It was designed specifically to meet the requirements of the fashion industry. Mr. Adler intended that 530 Seventh Avenue be "fitted for makers of the highest type of (garments) manufactured in the city."
The opening of the building was a momentous event in New York, garnering widespread press coverage and commemorated by a 36-page supplement published by Women's Wear Daily. The New York Building Congress presented awards to the craftsmen who worked on 530 Seventh Avenue to recognize their superior work as bricklayers, plasterers, ornamental iron workers and marble, terrazzo and tile setters.
Fashions have certainly changed from the time the first shovel of earth was dug for 530 Seventh Avenue, but one thing remains certain—Seventh Avenue is Fashion Avenue and 530 Seventh Avenue remains in the heart of America's fashion industry.